Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ebeb

This type of banana is relatively long and thick (longer and much fatter than the more common lacatan) and not fragrant. The skin is deep green, turning to light green when ripe. It has a subtle taste - you taste more of the flesh, with hints of sweetness here and a bit of sourness there.

The flesh is firm and white. The black seeds are more pronounced, in that there are more of them, but being very little they don't really bother anyone and are barely noticeable.

It's called ebeb in Pangasinan, and I don't know what else in other languages, if it is eaten anywhere else at all. I doubt if this is what is called green bananas abroad, or just green bananas are what's called all kinds of bananas when still unripe.

It's not really very popular here in the Philippines - it's an exception to find it in the market these days. Probably because it is not as sweet as other varieties, and it doesn't travel and keep well.

I like subtleties, though, so I value it more than a banana assaulting all my senses with its unabashed sweetness. Pour a peanut-caramel sauce on it, and I'm a child again. Simply eaten on its own, one piece is very filling with its size. Now if only I can find it more often. I don't even know its season, and by the way it appears haphazardly, it may be close to being in no-season, for all time.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kai,

The season is all year round. The fruit taste better during rainy season. This type of banana is not good to eat on empty stomach or early morning, else you will suffer from stomach ache." Malamig sa tiyan"

I like the taste. What I miss is the "Balayang" type. Balayang is the banana with seeds. Its more filling and when unripe it used as ingredient on cooking dalag paksiw.. The puso of that variety is also good for sinasagan viand..

Hmmmm....

Bert

Kai said...

Thanks, Bert, but it looks like it's no-season nowadays, it's so rare it's close to becoming extinct.

I remember balayang, though it is not how it's called in my hometown. It's one of the rare varieties, too.

Actually, banana now is just lakatan and tundal (latundan) by the way they lord it over the markets.

Anonymous said...

Kai,

Hmmnnn. I think my parents has still those two rare variety. I still remember those days that after heavy rain at night coupled with thunder and lightning. On the following morning my grandfather and I go to those clusters of banana tree and gather mushrooms. We have the mushroom (native ones oyster, taingang daga and other unidentified but edible ones), then agayep and puso ng saging..it completes the sinagsagan viand.. They are all grown up in natures way. no feltilizers, nor pesticides..
How I miss that kind way of life.. simple and healthy...

Balayang is kept just for the Puso and those unripe fruit. the roots is used as supplement to feed the pigs.

Bert

Kai said...

Ah yes, indeed! They would really mushroom all over after a thunderstorm, and it would be a joy to find them. Those would be really tasty, not bland like the cultivated ones.

I remember, sometimes we would accuse whoever cooked that we are being fed the pigs' dinner, but I tell you in some places they eat the roots. Unlucky pigs. ;-)