Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lunches at Rose Bowl/Sizzling Plate

I've said a mouthful in my previous post, so I'll just let the photos speak for themselves this time.

The first set is from a late lunch at Rose Bowl, beside the Tiong San department store (at the back of Session), across Burnham Park. Rose Bowl is our favorite Chinese restaurant in Baguio City - dishes never fail to satisfy.

We love the fried chicken, tender pieces fried to a crisp sans a touch of batter. The house specialty is pata tim, star-anise infused pork hock stew liberally strewn with blanched watercress.

But we've had enough meat during the holidays, so we ordered mostly vegetables, with only small strips/slices of beef.

Hototay Soup

Beef Chopsuey

Ampalaya with Beef in Tausi Sauce

Rose Bowl Fried Rice


Cantonese Noodles. I generally dislike noodles of the canton kind, but the way this was cooked I could have finished the entire plate. Of course I controlled myself, because the kids loved it, too.


I always see Sizzling Plate in the food centers of malls around Metro Manila. It seems it originated in Baguio (I may be wrong), with a small, cramped outlet along the main thoroughfare Session Road. I haven't tried the Metro Manila representatives, but by the looks of the servings alone the Baguio restaurant is way above in quality and quantity, literally and figuratively speaking.

I generally eschew meats - I have to give credit to my husband, who has to have steak each and every time we eat out, for introducing me to the carnivorous side of eating. I'm not a convert, and I don't think I'll ever be, though I get to eat pork and beef every once in a while (forced is the more appropriate term).

At Sizzling Plate all dishes are, of course, served on a hot plate, and the specialties are steaks. The menu is relatively short, and everything is accompanied by a small serving of fresh vegetables and an outstanding gravy I'd love to replicate.

[My son's Salisbury Steak]

[My husband's Australian T-Bone steak]

My daughter and I shared a forgettable chicken barbecue that's been basted with a sweetish ketchup (ack!) but was still very dry. Never mind, I got slices of that T-Bone and a third of that salisbury, which were both very good and more than made up for the chicken.


Rose Bowl
7 Harrison Road
Baguio City
(074) 4424213

Sizzling Plate
116 Session Road
Baguio City
(074) 4424219
What else to eat in Baguio?
Vizco's Strawberry Cake
Mountain Maid Cinnamon Swirl Loaf

Related post
Cafe by the Ruins

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

kalad, rose bowl fare is one of my comfort food. Whenever in baguio, i never fail to eat there. I particularly like their crispy pata and all kinds of vegetable dishes. It reminds me of the chinese restaurant of my childhood in daet, the golden house restaurant. I wonder if the rose bowl cook also cleans his wok with sand and walis tingting under extreme fire he he he. Now that you have blogged about baguio, I got the urge to spend a weekend there.

Kai said...

Go there now! Before the onset of summer and while it's still cold.

I guess the Rose Bowl cook cleans his wok as thoroughly, haha. The dishes taste "clean," compared to other Chinese restos, if you know what I mean.

ryan said...

mouth watering indeed ....memories of Baguio....thanks for sharing your wonderful food trips.