Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Becky's Brownies

cherry walnut brownies

I may have lambasted Becky's cakes in my previous post, but that doesn't diminish my love of and devotion to her brownies.

They are the softest brownie ever, full of good things one can ever dream of. A fruit and nut tandem, the cherry-walnut brownie is my favorite, for the contrasting combination of mushily mild acidity and crunch, enrobed by an almost pudding-like, chocolatey crumb.

Available in indiviually wrapped portions or hefty bars in a box, it is a heavyweight brownie. In the office we love to pair it with vanilla ice cream for a dreamily luxurious desert. No need for a shot of insulin - the brownie is lightly sweetened, just enough for the cherries to shine through.

It also goes nice with coffee or hot tea, which is apt for the current weather. It's divine, though, on its own, to better appreciate the silkiness of the crumb, and the contrasting flavors it is filled with.


Becky's Kitchen
1061 P. Ocampo corner Bautista Street, Manila
Tel. No. (632) 5251648, 5234245

6 comments:

Red Ribbon Bakeshop said...

Brownies and its perfect partner in hot coffee or tea.I always order this especially when i go to restaurant.

-Ava

Anonymous said...

OOOH LALA YUM YUM> I remember going to Beckys right after school in St.Scho. They also have good cakes!

Anonymous said...

Brings back a lot of memories from my days at St. Scholastica's for college. I used to live in a dorm a few blocks away from Becky's and me and my dormates will troop each time we have a craving for their yummy brownies and fudge bars.

It has been a typical present also for college professors, speakers and visitors during org days and now it has been a special treat in our office. Funny thing is only the people from St. Scho and DLSU knew of this place or those who has relatives and friend who attended these schools.

They haven't expanded yet and I hope they don't coz it makes their products a novelty, each one baked the same in quality.=)

Carol said...

In the 90s, Becky's was like a secret that very few people shared (and at P140 per box, it was a steal!). I'm really glad that Becky's is now also at the Valle Verde 1 Community Center. The costs have gone up but the brownies are still great value.

Elajr said...

I wonder how Becky's can sell affordable brownies with cherries because we don't grow cherries in the Philippines and when you buy it anywhere else, it's quite pricy raw/dried or candied. I've not tasted their brownies, I'm planning to one of these days but is it really cherries in it?

Kai said...

Elajr, yes you're quite right, and I haven't thought about it that much. There are not that much cherries in the dough, anyhow, and maybe they're from China, hehe. Do let me know how you like them when you try them.