Sunday, May 17, 2015

A Year's Worth of Eating

An Ifugao tending to his cooking, in Batad, Banaue, Ifugao

No, let me correct that. I have more than a year's worth of eating - three years maybe, but five years is closer - that's been waiting to be written about these past several years, but somehow have been languishing in my head and in my external drive for an era. I lost my handbag recently, along with my identity (all IDs, cards,etc.) and my personal belongings, but I am consoled by the fact that I put my external drive, which contains all food photos going back, like, fifteen years, and family photos and videos, in the other bag that was not taken.

I feel I need to apologize - for neglecting this blog, and consequently neglecting the few of you who have followed its progress over the years. You don't know how nakakataba ng puso (sorry, I don't know how to translate this) it is when you take the time to let me know that you read it, and enjoy it despite the rarity of posts. So let me thank you, all of you, and let me say sorry, for being an absentee writer.

My career has picked up this last year, which has left me with too little extra time for anything else, and consequently always exhausted to even attempt writing - which, I'm sure you know, is a very draining, though vastly enjoyable, exercise. Ironically, though, I've been eating a lot - partly because of the unprecedented explosion of the restaurant scene in the country, and partly because I've been travelling so much. Eating is also an outlet - a way to unwind, meet with friends - and I seriously needed to go out frequently. Especially since I stopped writing for this blog, which had been my main creative outlet.   

This post is a form of commitment that I will try, no matter how long it takes me to do the first one. I need to finish my Japan trip - the things I ate there and the places I visited are not along the trendy line, so I'm sure everything I've experienced are still all there. Afterwards I will go on an extensive Philippine tour, culled from all the travels I've done these last few years. Hopefully I get to finish all the fourteen regions before I go on a foreign trip again, this November. 

So see you.

12 comments:

flipster said...

Kai. life can be a bitch, but never regret doing something you love.
Take your time blogging, patience does wonders.

Anonymous said...

haha, no need to feel guilty. you are the benefactor, and we are the beneficiaries, of your well researched and excellently written cultural and gustatory insights. we appreciate them as they come along, when you share them, be they simple and, or, few and far between.

-lou

Unknown said...

Hi Kai..so nice to hear that you have not abandoned your blog :-D

jun said...

Kai....work will always be there no matter how efficient you are...always have time for your self...we all go around ones and that.s it...enjoy life to its fullest!

Anonymous said...

Kai,
Don't feel guilty.. I am likewise guilty.. been busy with my daily job activity with FB and Twitter on the side .. :)

Bert Sison

Jerry said...

Kai Dearest handle your business and don't be sorry. It's great that you're back. We all miss you.......

stef said...

hi Kai!! long time no comment :D this is stef (stefoodie, and these thy gifts) -- i have a friend kasi on FB who keeps sharing your posts so i thought i'd say hi. glad to see you're still blogging. miss ko na lasang pinoy. hope all is well. take care and God bless!

Unknown said...

Welcome back! Been a long-time reader/lurker, wondering about the reason behind the dearth of new posts. Glad to know you're still up and about. Sorry to hear about the lost bag/IDs, though.

Kai said...

Thank you for all the comments. It's awesome that you still check this blog. Special mention to Lou, Flipster, Manong Bert.
Stef, I wonder if I know your FB friend? A former elementary school classmate also kept sharing my blog pix in FB, not knowing I was the author, haha.
Hi Chris, thanks for staying put. I was also sorry, but now I'm thinking of compensating for it by betting in the local lotto - as of now the grand prize is over Php200 Million. If I win I'll quit my job and blog full-time, hehehe.

Jerry said...

Are you ever coming back? Miss you a lot

Kai said...

So sorry, Jerry. I just published a new post. Hope I can keep it up.

Jerry said...

Still Missing you but, take your time...